Makes 2 servings.
- 1/2 cup polenta
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- a small hunk of sharp cheddar cheese, grated (~1/4 cup)
- 2 6oz halibut filets (we often purchase from Wild Alaskan)
- 2 cups stock (I used lobster stock because I had some in the freezer, but chicken or veg stock, or even just water, would be good)
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- juice from 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 garlic scapes, diced
- 1 red pearl onion, diced
- 12 snow peas
- 3/4 cup fresh strawberries, quartered
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper, diced
- juice from 1/2 a lime
- a few sprigs of fresh cilantro, diced
- In a medium saucepan combine polenta, 1 1/2 cups water, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and bring to a boil. Add the milk and cream, reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat when cooked.
- In a 12″ cast iron deep skillet, add 2 cups stock or water, white wine, lemon juice, butter, 1 diced garlic scape, and 1/2 diced red pearl onion. Bring to a simmer then reduce heat to low. Add halibut and snow peas to the pan, then cover and let cook on low for about 10 minutes (until somewhat firm and flaky).
- In a small bowl add strawberries, jalapenos, the other garlic scape pieces, the remaining 1/2 diced onion, lime juice, cilantro, a little salt and pepper, and stir to combine.
- Put the polenta back on low heat to warm up and stir cheddar into it.
- Plate polenta, nestle the halibut and peas into it, then top with strawberry salsa and serve.