- 1 cup basmati rice, uncooked
- 2 cups water or chicken/vegetable stock (for cooking the rice)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3 cardamom pods
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 large shallot, diced
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled and diced
- 1 1/2 inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 3 tablespoons red curry paste
- 1/2 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 can coconut milk
- 3/4 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 6-8 leaves of dino kale, chopped
- salt, pepper, cayenne pepper
- 1 lime, half sliced for garnish and half for juicing
- 1/4 cup salted cashews broken into pieces
- a small handful of fresh cilantro
- Make rice: in a small saucepan bring basmati rice, 2 cups stocks and/or water, cumin seeds, cardamom pods, olive oil, and a little salt to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and allow to cook for 15 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Remove cardamom pods before serving.
- While rice is cooking, heat the coconut oil in a large skillet. Add shallots and saute for a few minutes.
- Add the butternut and ginger to the pan and toss to coat.
- Add the red curry and curry powder to the pan and toss to coat. Let cook for a few minutes.
- Add the stock, coconut milk, fish sauce, salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper (season to taste). Stir to combine everything.
- Bring to a simmer, cover, lower heat and allow to cook for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the kale, cover again, and allow to cook for 10 more minutes.
- Serve rice topped with butternut curry. Squeeze some fresh lime juice over each portion then top with cilantro and cashews. Garnish with lime slice.
Can be made vegetarian/vegan if you use vegetable stock and omit the fish sauce. It can also be made Paleo/Primal/Whole30 compliant if you serve over greens or cauliflower rice instead of basmati.