- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 2 (15.5 oz) cans kidney beans (or the equivalent amount of cooked dried beans)
- 1 large onion
- 1 large tomato
- 1/2 lb carrots, sliced
- 2 bell peppers, whatever variety of colors you prefer, chopped into small squares
- 1 jalapeño pepper, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced or chopped
- 1 (46 oz) bottle spicy V8 juice
- 1/4 cup cashew meal
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- salt to taste
- In an 8 qt stainless soup pot brown the ground beef over high heat together with the onions and garlic. Add the spices and continue frying for another few minutes.
- Add the beans, tomatoes, carrots, peppers, and V8 juice. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer.
- To make the cashew meal, process the cashews in a blender in short bursts, until a grainy meal is formed. Do not process for too long or you will have cashew butter. Stir in the cashew meal, cover, and simmer for an additional 30 minutes.
This recipe is from the Gourmet Nutrition cook book, though the ingredients listed here are all cut in half because that’s the size batch we usually make. I also add a jalapeño and/or other hot peppers into the mix because we like it a bit spicy.