- 1 cup uncooked lentils (green, although some others will work just as well)
- 4 cups water (for cooking the lentils)
- 3 carrots, diced
- 1 shallot, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- a handful of leafy celery greens, chopped
- 1 egg
- a few slices of roasted pork belly, diced (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- a small handful of fresh cilantro, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup pork fat (perfect left over from roasting pork belly, otherwise you can use butter or olive oil)
- Bring water and lentils to a boil, turn down heat and let simmer for 25 minutes.
- Saute carrots, shallots, and pork belly in a little pork fat (or butter/olive oil) for about 5-7 minutes. Add minced garlic just before turning off heat.
- Drain lentils and put in a medium bowl. Add the cooked veggies and pork belly, celery leaves, egg, and spices; mix well.
- Form small patties (crab cake sized) and fry them in pork fat in a skillet, a few minutes on each side on medium heat.