- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream, divided
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup sugar
- half of a vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- a pinch of salt
- Heat milk, 1 cup of the cream, salt, and vanilla bean in small saucepan. Remove from heat and let steep for an hour.
- Whisk egg yolks with sugar in a bowl.
- Reheat the milk mixture until warm and slowly whisk some of it into the egg yolks. Pour the egg mixture into pan. Cook and stir over low heat until mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon (7-10 minutes).
- Remove from heat and strain the mixture into a bowl to remove the vanilla bean.
- Stir the remaining cream in.
- Set the bowl into a larger bowl with ice and water and stir for a few minutes to cool it down. Let cool in the fridge for a half hour or until ready to churn.