- 3/4 pound sweet potato(es)
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 4 tablespoons cold butter
- 1/8 cup sugar
- 1/8 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/8 cup shredded coconut
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- a handful or raisins and/or pecans
- Preheat the oven to 400. Roast the sweet potato(es) whole for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, until fork tender. Set aside to cool, then peel and leave whole.
- Lower the oven heat to 350. Grease or line muffin tins.
- Combine dry ingredients in large bowl.
- Whisk buttermilk and yogurt in a small bowl.
- In the bowl of a standing mixer, add the butter and sugars. Mix at high speed until light and creamy, about 3 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a spatula. Add egg and half of the sweet potatoes and mix on medium speed for about 1 minute, until thoroughly combined. Scrape down sides of bowl again.
- On low speed, add dry ingredients and mix until partly combined. Add buttermilk mixture and mix until combined. Add coconut, raisins, and nuts. Add remaining sweet potatoes and mix until barely combined. There should be pockets of sweet potato in the batter. Scrape down sides and bottom of bowl again.
- Scoop batter into muffin cups.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes. Take tins out of the oven, twist each muffin and place it on its side in the cup to cool.
Inspired by and adapted from this post on the Hampshire Food, Farm, and Sustainability blog.