- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- a pinch each of cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, all spice and ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2/3 cup egg nog (the only commercial brand I love is Organic Valley, otherwise it’s homemade or from local Mapleline Farm)
- 3/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Whisk first 5 ingredients in large bowl to blend.
- Whisk milk, eggnog, pumpkin, egg yolks, melted butter and vanilla in medium bowl to blend well.
- Add pumpkin mixture to dry ingredients; whisk just until smooth (batter will be thick).
- Using electric mixer, beat egg whites in another medium bowl until stiff but not dry. Fold whites into batter in 2 additions.
- Brush large nonstick skillet with oil or butter; heat over medium heat. Working in batches, pour batter by 1/3 cupfuls into skillet. Cook until bubbles form on surface of pancakes and bottoms are brown, about 1 1/2 minutes per side. Repeat with remaining batter, brushing skillet with oil or butter between batches. Serve with syrup, and/or whipped cream, and/or toasted pecans.