- 1 1/8 cups butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
* a small mixture of sugar, cinnamon, and powdered ginger to be sprinkled on cookies right before putting them in the oven
- Cream together the butter and the sugar until light and fluffy. Stir in the cream. Add a little water (no more than 2 tablespoons) to the butter mixture.
- Sift the spices, baking powder, baking soda and flour into the butter mixture. Blend until a nice dough is formed. Roll dough into sausages about 2-1/2 inches in diameter, wrap tightly and let dough chill thoroughly.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Remove chilled dough and cut into thin slices. Bake on a lightly greased cookie sheet for 6 to 8 minutes. Let cookies cool on wire rack.