- 3 cups (packed) fresh basil leaves
- 3 to 4 large cloves garlic
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup Parmesan
- 1/3 cup pine nuts, lightly toasted
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place the basil leaves and garlic in a blender or food processor and mince well.
- Add the nuts, if desired, and continue to blend until the nuts are ground.
- Drizzle in the olive oil as you keep the machine running. When you have a smooth paste, transfer to a bowl, and stir in the Parmesan. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 1/2 cup coarsely ground cornmeal
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup water
- Combine the cornmeal and liquid in a saucepan. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring frequently, until very thick, 15-20 minutes.
- Pour into a 9- x 9-inch baking dish and chill completely. (at least 2 hours)
- To grill, cut into squares, wedges or circles, brush or spray lightly with olive oil, and cook over medium-hot coals until nicely browned.
- Spread with pesto and heat lightly.
- Remove from grill and serve topped with fresh tomato slices or half cherry tomatoes. Add black olives and/or fresh basil if you like.