That’s right, I said sausage. And not those greasy pork sausages either. Nice, lean chicken sausages. Still packed with flavor, but literally half of the fat (8 g versus 16). Imagine the spicy and salty flavor of the sausage with the sweetness of the cherry tomatoes, and the zestiness of the lemon, balanced with the mild basil and you’ve got a very tasty dish to fancy!
- 3/4 pound farfalle (bowtie) pasta
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 hot Italian chicken sausages
- 3 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1 bunch basil, torn
- 1 pound cherry , halved
- 2 ounces Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, shaved
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the pasta until al dente
- Meanwhile, preheat a large skillet. Brown the sausages, then slice into coins
- Add garlic and cook until sausage is cooked through, just another minute or so
- Toss cooked sausage with pasta, a bit of olive oil, torn basil, tomatoes, cheese, lemon juice, salt and pepper
- Serve warm
I believe that this would also make for a fantastic cold pasta salad.
Inspired by this post by Whole Foods Market.