- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 sticks plus 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs, room temp
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 8 oz dark chocolate, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350.
- If using muffin liners, line 24 cups.
- Put cocoa powder and boiling water in a medium bowl and whisk into a paste. Whisk in buttermilk.
- In another medium bowl sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- In a large bowl beat together 1 1/2 sticks butter with granulated sugar. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Then beat in the dry ingredients, alternating back and forth with flour and chocolate mixture.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin cups and bake for about 20 minutes. Let cool in pan for 5 minutes then transfer to a rack to cool.
- In a medium bowl beat the peanut butter with the remaining 3 tablespoons of butter until creamy. Add the confectioner’s sugar and beat until fluffy.
- Spoon all but 3 tablespoons of the peanut butter filling into a pastry bag with a 1/4-inch tip.
- With each cupcake, push the tip into the top center about 3/4 inch deep and slowly squeeze the bag to fill the cupcake.
- In a small saucepan bring the cream to a simmer. Add chocolate to the cream and let sit for 5 minutes. Whisk until smooth. Let sit for about 15 minutes until slightly cooled.
- Dip the top of each cupcake into the chocolate ganache.
- Put the remaining peanut butter mixture into the pastry bag and squeeze a dollop atop each cupcake.
Original recipe from foodandwine.com.