- 7 cups of vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 large head of cauliflower, chopped
- 2 large leeks (the lighter sections only – remove the dark green sections and save those for making vegetable stock), sliced
- 1/2 cup roasted, salted cashews (or raw if you prefer)
- 2 small cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste (I like to add a little Montreal steak seasoning and cayenne pepper as well)
- garnish of choice, optional (some options I love: roasted fennel, parsley, chives, bacon, freshly grated nutmeg, fresh lemon zest)
- Sauté olive oil and leeks in a large pan. Add salt and pepper. As they begin to brown a bit, add the garlic and cook for a minute. Then add the cauliflower chunks and brown for a few minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the stock and simmer for ~25 minutes.
- Add the cashews and blend until smooth, either using an immersion blender or in batches in a stand up blender. I use my Vitamix for this and it works really well.
- Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Serve with desired garnish.
I slightly adjusted this recipe from one I got from someone else with no attribution. I’m fairly certain their original version came from this blender girl recipe.