- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream, divided
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 8 green cardamom pods, slightly crushed
- half of a vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- a pinch of salt
- a pinch of lemon zest
- a pinch of ground cardamom
- Heat milk, 1 cup of the cream, salt, vanilla bean, and cardamom pods in small saucepan. Remove from heat and let steep for an hour.
- Whisk egg yolks with sugar in a bowl.
- Reheat the milk mixture until warm and slowly whisk some of it into the egg yolks. Pour the egg mixture into pan. Cook and stir over low heat until mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon (7-10 minutes).
- Remove from heat and strain the mixture into a bowl to remove the vanilla bean and cardamom pods.
- Stir the remaining cream in. Add lemon zest and ground cardamom.
- Set the bowl into a larger bowl with ice and water and stir for a few minutes to cool it down. Let cool in the fridge for a half hour or until ready to churn.