- 1 can pumpkin puree, (or roast and puree a sugar pumpkin)
- 3/4 cup apple cider
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 1/3 cups brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- juice of half a lemon
- Combine pumpkin, apple cider, spices, and sugar in a large saucepan; stir well.
- Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes or until thickened. Stir frequently.
- Adjust spices to taste. Stir in lemon juice, or more to taste.
- Once cool, pumpkin butter can be kept in an airtight container in the fridge.
- Spoon hot pumpkin mixture into hot jars, filling to within 1/4 inch from top.
- Remove air bubbles; wipe jar rims.
- Cover at once with metal lids, and screw on bands.
- Process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.