- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 large leeks, trimmed of dark green bits (freeze those for making stock another time) and sliced
- 4 large celery stalks, sliced
- 6 large yukon gold potatoes, peeled and chunked
- 7 cups of chicken or vegetable stock
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- freshly grated nutmeg
- chives, parsley, bacon, or any other desired garnish
- Heat butter and olive oil in a dutch oven on medium high.
- Add leeks; saute and stir for several minutes until soft.
- Add celery, salt, and pepper; saute and stir for several more minutes.
- Add potatoes, reduce heat to low, stir and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add stock, raise heat to medium, and simmer for about 15 minutes until potatoes are a bit tender.
- Turn off heat and let sit for about 30 minutes.
- Turn heat back on low; add cream and milk and stir.
- Add salt, pepper, and a dash of fresh nutmeg to taste.
- Puree in a blender then add back to the pot to keep warm.
- Garnish a serve.
Recipe adapted from Food and Wine.