This is a great recipe for a main course. It can be made as-is for a vegetarian dish or you could add some grilled chicken or shrimp. For this round I chose to serve it with lima beans for protein. They have such fantastic flavor and texture (and Neil and I both love them). The lentils are a wonderful pairing with the fresh lemon juice, and the artichoke hearts add an element of buttery sweetness. This is a perfect fit for a healthy meal with tons of flavor.
- 1 cup low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 3/4 cup dried red lentils
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 pound whole wheat linguine
- 1/4 pound fresh green beans, cut to one-inch lengths
- 1 cup mushrooms, chopped
- 4 artichoke hearts, rinsed, drained and quartered
- Handful of frozen peas
- In a medium pot add broth, 1 cup water, onion, lentils, garlic, mushrooms and green beans and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until lentils are very tender and falling apart, about 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat, add lemon juice and stir until lentils break apart to make a sauce. Add peas.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add linguine and cook until al dente, drain and return to pot.
- Immediately add artichoke hearts and lentil sauce to hot pasta, toss well and serve.