- 1/3 cup lavender sugar (I keep a jar of sugar mixed with lavender in my baking cabinet, but if you don’t, you can use plain sugar with ~1 teaspoon dried lavender blossoms, chopped)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Mix the sugar with the chopped lavender and grated lemon zest in a mortar and pestle.
- Add sugar mixture and butter into a mixing bowl and beat at medium speed.
- Lower the mixing speed to add the flour and salt until a soft dough forms.
- Wrap the ball of dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Form the dough into a log, wrap, and chill for 45 minutes longer.
- Preheat the oven to 350 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Slice the dough into 1/4-inch-thick rounds and place the rounds on the baking sheet (18-20 cookies, depending on how thick you slice em).
- Put in the freezer for 10 minutes, then bake the shortbread for 15 to 25 minutes, or until the edges are lightly browned (17 minutes does the trick in my oven, and these can easily over bake and burn, so keep an eye on them).
- Transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
Recipe very slightly adapted from Food & Wine.