- 2 celeriac root bulbs, peeled with a knife and sliced into 1/4 inch thick discs
- 2 shallots, diced
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup of chicken stock
- 1/2 cup freshly grated gruyere cheese
- 1/8 cup freshly grated parmesan and/or romano cheese
- 1 teaspoon stoneground mustard
- a few sprigs of fresh thyme
- a sprinkle of grated nutmeg
- a dash of cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper
- butter for the baking dish
- 1 teaspoon of olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400 and butter a small, glass or stone baking dish.
- Heat the olive oil in a small skillet and satueé the shallots for a few minutes until brown.
- Layer the shallots along the bottom of the pan.
- Arrange the celeriac slices in slightly overlapping layers throughout the dish.
- Whisk together the cream, stock, nutmeg, thyme, salt and pepper. Pour over the celeriac.
- Spread the cheeses over the top, cover the dish, and bake for about 20 minutes.
- Remove lid or foil, bake for another 25 minutes until the top is golden brown. Let cool for about 10 minutes before serving.
Recipe adapted from Martha Stewart.