- 3/4 cup dried apricots
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons olive or coconut oil
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 cup unbleached white flour
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350. Butter a 9-inch loaf pan and set aside. Soak apricots for 20 minutes in hot water to cover. If desired, soak the apricots in rum or bourbon instead of water.
- Drain and chop apricots into 1/4-inch pieces. Set aside.
- Beat the sugar, oil and egg together in a mixing bowl. Stir in water and orange juice. Add the white flour, pastry flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, mixing until thoroughly combined. Stir in the walnuts and the apricots.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 55-65 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan for 15 minutes. Remove to a wire rack to continue cooling.