- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Set your butter and eggs out about an hour before you start to get to room temperature.
- Beat sugar and butter in a bowl (preferably on a stand mixer) until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, followed by extracts.
- In a separate bowl combine flour, baking powder and salt with a whisk. Slowly add this dry mixture to the butter base and mix just until blended.
- Bust the dough up into three balls and wrap them in plastic wrap to be refrigerated for about 2 hours.
2 hours later
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Unwrap one of your dough balls and roll it out on a floured surface (with a floured rolling pin) to 1/8-1/4 inch thickness. If this is hard for you to judge, use foot-long wooden dowels in the thickness that you wish placed on each side of the dough and roll your rolling pin on top of the dowels.
- Cut the dough into any shapes that you wish and place them on a cool cookie sheet (preferably lined with parchment paper or a silicone mat).
- Bake for 7 minutes if 1/8 inch thick and 8 minutes if 1/4 inch thick.
- Cool baked cookies on the sheet for about 2 minutes, then transfer them to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.