- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup molasses
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup canola or peanut oil
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/4 cup peeled fresh ginger, minced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sift together first 4 ingredients and set aside.
- Mix sugar, molasses, eggs and oil.
- Slowly add dry, sifted ingredients.
- Add baking soda to boiling water, then add to gingerbread mixture.
- Add fresh ginger and pour into a buttered and floured 9-inch square baking pan.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.